What if I’ve never done yoga before?
You don’t need to be flexible or strong to start practicing yoga. The more you practice, the more improvement you will notice with each session. Yoga by Betsy offers beginners and intermediate level classes for both Kripalu Yoga and Yoga 4 Cancer/Oncology Yoga (y4c).
What do I need to know before my first class?
Classes are 60 minutes long. I am available for you to ask questions before and after class. It is recommended that new yogis arrive 15 minutes early to speak with Betsy prior to the start of class.
What should I wear?
Comfortable yoga attire or loose-fitting clothes that allow for ease of movement. Something you can easily move your body in, like flowing pants and a supportive top—whatever will allow you to be comfortable during your practice. We have changing rooms at both Brookside Wellness Centre and YMCA Fredericton.
What should I bring?
Bring a water bottle. If you have your own mat, blankets, blocks, bolster, you are welcome to bring them with you. However, we have mats, blankets, blocks and bolsters (bolsters at Brookside Wellness Centre, Yoga 4 Cancer/Oncology Yoga and private lessons)
Should I eat before class?
It is recommended to not eat within an hour before class.
Are we allowed to drink water during sessions?
Yes, you are always encouraged to properly hydrate.
What about yoga etiquette?
We ask that you be respectful of others. Additionally:
- No personal belongings in the studios; there are complimentary lockers at the YMCA and hooks to hang your belongings during class at Brookside Wellness Centre. Please leave your shoes at the front entrance or in a locker, and your jackets, bags, and keys, and cell phones (turned off) in a locker or on a hook.
- Scent-free environment. Please avoid wearing perfumes, colognes, or other scents to class in consideration of others.
- New students are asked to arrive early to meet me and ask questions prior to the class.
- y4c classes are reserved for cancer patients, cancer survivors and their caregivers.
- Attending class with low energy is fine. At the very least, you can stay in a restorative pose during class.
- If you are sick (virus or bacterial), plan to attend once you are better to ensure the health and safety of others attending the class.
Do I need to register online to attend class?
No registration is typically required, unless otherwise noted. Walk-in spaces are always available on a first-come basis.
Kripalu Yoga classes at the YMCA are accessible to individuals with active memberships or a day pass ($10 plus HST) at the desk. The Horizon Health Yoga 4 Cancer/Oncology Yoga (Stay Strong Program) classes are arranged by the hospital and not available to the general public.
Brookside Wellness Centre classes (both Kripalu Yoga and Yoga 4 Cancer) are drop-in students. The rate is $15 (18 – 64 of age) or $12 for students/seniors (65 or older). Brookside Wellness Centre punch cards are accepted for both classes.
SPECIAL NOTICE: Yoga 4 Cancer/Oncology Yoga classes are reserved for cancer patients, cancer survivors and their caregivers. We ask that if you are sick or feeling unwell (virus or bacterial), plan to attend once you are better to ensure the safety of others attending the class. Attending class with low energy is fine. At the very least, you can stay in a restorative pose during class.
Is an hour long enough?
I will make the most of the time you are at your yoga practice, flowing through an appropriately invigorating series to get your heart pumping: an hour is plenty of time for balanced yoga practice.
Are private classes/sessions available?
Yes! If you are interested in private lessons/sessions email me at email@example.com to make arrangements. The costs for an hour private session is $60.